In recent years, night vision monoculars have become one of the essentials in the arsenal of tools and equipment of the modern hunter, hiker, or camper—and rightfully so. This device provides us with a much-needed upgrade in our viewing experience. Thus, in this article, we are going on a ride to find the best night vision monocular under $200.
Top Three Best Night Vision Monocular Under $200
With hundreds of makes and models available on the market today, finding the best night vision monocular that fits our budget and meets our every need and preference can be quite the challenge. But because we got your back, we were more than glad to take on that challenge for you.
Below are our top three picks along with their key features, highlights, and some setbacks.
Suncore NV540 Digital Night Vision Monocular
- Outstanding Optical Clarity: This monocular allows you to zoom in on your subject up to five times. It boasts a 40mm objective lens diameter that allows just enough light to provide a crystal clear image.
- Day/Night Operation: Whether you plan on hunting during the day or during nighttime, this monocular could be your trusted companion. It delivers a quality viewing experience both in high- and low-light settings.
- Photo- and Video-Recording Function: Sharing your discoveries with friends and families is easy with the use of this monocular. It can record videos at 15 frames per second in 640 x 480 resolution. Additionally, you can also capture JPEG images at 1280 x 960 pixels.
- Color CCD Sensor: The CCD or charge-coupled device sensor is a high-quality sensor that powers up the night vision capability of this monocular. As a result, you can enjoy an unobstructed view even without light.
- Infrared Illuminator: This feature works by drastically increasing the monocular’s night vision capability, allowing you to see objects even in complete darkness.
- Ergonomic Design: This monocular is intelligently designed to provide its user a non-slip grip. It also only weighs no more than 400g, which guarantees that you can use it even for extended periods. It has overall dimensions of 196 by 79 by 53 mm.
- Other Features: LCD Screen with Digital Controls, Auto Power Off, Memory Card, 12mm Eye Relief, USB Connection
- Very easy to operate
- Provides a stable and secure grip
- Records high-quality photo and video
- Can be connected via AV or USB cord
- Comes with a quick charger
- The package includes lens cloth and soft carrying pouch
- Can be used for hunting, hiking, camping, wildlife watching
- Can only run for one hour with the IR illuminator on
- Quite heavyweight at 2.2 pounds
Night Owl Optics NOCX3 Explorer Night Vision Scope
- High-Powered 3.1X Magnification: This monocular is equipped with a system that allows you to magnify the image of any distant object for up to 3 times.
- High-Level Amplification: With its built-in infrared illuminator, you can easily see even in low-light and no-light conditions.
- Durable and Weatherproof Body: The rubber-coated body frame means that you won’t have to worry about it getting affected by the elements. Both the power and IR illuminator buttons are covered to prevent dust, moisture, and water from damaging them.
- Ergonomically Designed: This monocular has intelligently-placed buttons near the ocular that allow single-handed operation.
- Steel Stringer System: The steel stringer system feature is a Night Owl Optics exclusive that ensures added precision to the unit.
- Stress-free operation
- Compact size fits in a small pouch
- Can withstand even the harshest weather conditions
- Does not eat up battery
- Very lightweight at no more than a pound
- Well-built and would last for years with proper care
- Limited field of view
- A little challenging to set manual focus
Night Owl Optics NONM3X-G Monocular
- Aluminum Housing with Rubber Grip and Soft Rubberized Finish: This monocular has a machined aluminum housing that is covered with a soft rubberized finish that ensures both comfort and better handling. It also has an added rubber bands that guarantee 100% non-slip grip.
- 3X Magnification Power with 42mm Lens Diameter: See clearly even in no- or low-light conditions using this night vision monocular. It has a magnifying power of up to three times and a 42mm lens diameter for a brighter and clearer view.
- Built-In Infrared Illuminator: The built-in infrared illuminator would allow you to use this monocular even in complete darkness, making it perfect for night fishing, hunting, and wildlife watching.
- Premium Quality Lenses: Both the objective and ocular lenses are made from premium quality all-glass optics for the best viewing experience.
- The most lightweight at only 0.77 pounds
- Gives detailed images even during nighttime
- Fits comfortably in any backpack or pouch
- Very hassle-free operation
- Offers a comfortable and secure grip
- Delivers clear images even in complete darkness
- Has to be focused manually
- Requires lithium battery that is not yet included in the package
Looking at all the key features, pros, and cons of each of these products, we have concluded that the best night vision monocular under $200 that is worth every buck is the Suncore NV540 Digital Night Vision Monocular.
At just under two hundred bucks, this monocular would allow you to view distant objects during daytime and nighttime. No need to buy a separate daylight monocular! Additionally, you can also record what you see in both photo and video format. It comes with a memory card that can store up to four Gigabytes of data.
It runs on a CR123A battery that you have to purchase separately. However, once you do, you can recharge it using the quick charger that is already included in the package. It also has a high-speed USB cord as well as an AV external conversion line.
Lastly, this monocular, with all its sophisticated yet easy-to-operate controls, can be used single-handedly. However, and quite naturally so, it is the heaviest among the three at around 2.2 pounds. It can also only run for up to an hour with the IR illumination function turned on.
That being said, it’s still up to you and your personal preferences and needs. Whichever make and model you choose, just make sure that you go through each feature so that you know exactly what you’ll expect. So, good luck finding your night vision monocular and happy hunting!